- 4 mackerel fillets (use our step-by-step guide if filleting from whole)
- zest and juice 1 lime, plus extra wedges to serve
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- butter, for greasing
- steamed baby bok choi, to serve
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and cut into matchsticks
- juice 1 lime
- thumb-sized piece ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp muscovado sugar
- Score the mackerel fillets a couple of times on the skin, then lay them in a shallow dish. Sprinkle with the lime zest and juice, and leave to marinate for 5-10 mins.
- Place all of the sauce ingredients in a small pan with a splash of water and gradually bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 mins to thicken slightly, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Turn the grill to its highest setting and place the mackerel on a greased baking tray, skin side up. Sprinkle the fillets with the olive oil and some sea salt, then grill for 5 mins until the flesh is opaque and cooked through.
- Divide bok choi between plates, lay 2 mackerel fillets on top, drizzle with the sauce and serve with a wedge of lime.