If you’re a fan of caramel then this is the cake for you.
With the sponges ability to soak up those rich flavours, you’ll love a bite of this soft ‘melt in your mouth’ cake. Carnations get it just right with their caramel recipe – a few whips with a spoon and this gooey treat sits perfectly on-top of your cake. We’ve got the recipe for a delicious sponge which complements the flavours and textures just right. Give it a go with our recipe below…
- 210 grams plain flour
- 1½ tsps baking powder
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 125 ml milk (at room temp.)
- 226 grams unsalted butter (soft)
- 360 grams granulated sugar
- 1½ tbps vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs (at room temp.)
- 2 large egg yolks (at room temp.)
- 397g Carnation Caramel
- Pre heat your oven to 180 °C and grease a cake proof tin (you can also split this into two tins and skip one of the steps)
- Mix the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt together in a medium sized bowl.
- In a separate large bowl whip the butter until soft and creamy, add the sugar and blend together until lightened in both texture and colour.
- Add in each egg separatly and mix one by one until smooth. Then add the two yolks individually and mix with a soft spatula or whisk. With the final step being the vanilla extract.
- Then add the dry ingredients to the mix 1/3 at a time, whisk ingredients together until light. After the second mix, add in the milk and blend before adding the final 1/3 of the flour, completely mixing the cake batter until you are happy.
- Pour cake mix into your your desired tin(s) and bake for 25 minutes (you may need longer if you’re only using one tin)
- Take out cake and leave to cool. Once ready place on a tray and slice the cake in half. (skip this step if you are using two tins)
- Layer the inside with your caramel icing. Place the two pieces together and pour the remaining icing over the top of your cake.
- Cut your delicious piece of cake into slices and eat it 😋